The LSVT BIG® Training and Certification Workshop is a two-day program designed to train physical and occupational therapists in an intensive whole body amplitude-based training protocol for individuals with Parkinson disease.
You will be taught the research/clinical rationale of the treatment protocol, details of all treatment tasks, and efficacy data supporting treatment outcomes. Importantly, you will be provided hands-on and supervised practical experience with the treatment protocol. Participants should wear loose fitting clothing that allows freedom of movement for participation in hands-on practice and interactive sessions. This training qualifies for 12 contact hours.
Registration Levels (display)
Register at the Professional level if:
- You are a physical or occupational therapist
- You are a physical or occupational therapy assistant (If you are a physical/occupational therapy assistant, you must ALWAYS administer LSVT BIG under the supervision of a Certified LSVT BIG Clinician.)
Register at the Graduate Student level if:
- You are a graduate student currently enrolled in a physical or occupational therapy program
Register at the Previously Certified LSVT BIG Clinician level if:
- You have previously been certified by LSVT Global to administer LSVT BIG
8:15 – 9:00 a.m.
9:00 – 10:45 a.m.
Introduction to LSVT BIG™ Paradigm Shifts: Target (amplitude), Mode (intensive and high effort), and Calibration (addressing barriers to generalization)
Overview of Parkinson disease
11:00 – 11:30 a.m.
LIVE Patient DEMO
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Fundamentals – Neuroplasticity-based rationale
Review of efficacy data for LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
LUNCH (on your own)
1:30 – 3:15 p.m.
LSVT BIG METHODS:
Daily Exercises– a detailed description
Role Play of LSVT BIG Daily Exercises
3:15 – 3:30 p.m.
3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
LSVT BIG METHODS:
Functional Component Tasks – a detailed description
Hierarchy Tasks – a detailed description
Role Play of LSVT BIG Functional Component Movements, Walking BIG, and Hierarchy Tasks
8:00 – 9:45 a.m.
Review of Daily Exercises, Functional Component Movements and Hierarchy Tasks
Case Study: Functional Component Movements and Hierarchy Tasks
LSVT BIG METHODS - Calibration
Role Play of LSVT BIG Daily Exercises WITH Calibration techniques
9:45 – 10:00 a.m.
10:00 -11:30 a.m.
LSVT BIG Quantification and Reimbursement
Interdisciplinary Care in PD
11: 30 to 12:00 p.m.
EXAM – 85% correct required for certification
12:00– 12:45 p.m.
LUNCH (on your own)
12:45 – 1:00 p.m.
Prepare for Exercise Interaction)
1:00 – 2:15 p.m.
“Hands - on” Practice with Individuals with Parkinson Disease
This section allows each clinician to practice the LSVT BIG techniques with an individual with Parkinson disease under the supervision of the workshop faculty.
Review of LSVT BIG Paradigm Shifts
LSVT BIG Marketing
LSVT BIG Future Research & Technology
LSVT BIG Workshop Conclusions
Continuing Education: This program qualifies for 12 contact hours. Save your course outline and certificate of completion, and contact your own professional board or organization for specific filing requirements. This course has been submitted to multiple state Physical Therapy Associations for approval. Provider approval does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshop Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Describe 3 paradigm shifts unique to LSVT BIG treatment
- Provide rationale for using a single target of amplitude when working with patients with Parkinson's disease.
- Correctly identify at least 3 key principles used in LSVT BIG that drive activity dependent neuroplasticity.
- Discuss efficacy findings that support use of LSVT BIG for persons with Parkinson's disease.
- Provide the rationale for each of the Maximal Daily Exercises
- Describe the correct performance techniques of the LSVT Maximal Daily Exercises
- Given patient scenarios of patients with Parkinson's disease with various levels of function, describe how to adapt or progress LSVT BIG treatment.
- Correctly list 5/5 teaching techniques unique to LSVT protocols.
- Differentiate between Functional Component Tasks, Hierarchy Tasks, and Carryover tasks.
- Identify the purposes of Functional Component Tasks, Hierarchy Tasks, and Carryover Tasks.
- Provide an example of calibration in LSVT BIG.
- Synthesize data from patient interview, examination, stimulability tests and results of standardized tests to determine if the patient will benefit from LSVT BIG treatment.
Participant Cancellation Policy
In the event that a participant cancels registration or does not attend, tuition will be refunded minus the following cancellation fees:
$50.00 cancellation fee outside 4 weeks prior to workshop date
$100.00 cancellation fee within 4 weeks prior to workshop date
LSVT Global reserves the right to cancel any workshop due to inadequate attendance.
Participant Attendance Policy
Active attendance and participation during the entire workshop is mandatory. Participants who arrive late or miss any portion of the workshop will not be eligible for certification or a refund of any workshop costs. Please plan your travel arrangements accordingly.