Online Course FAQs
LSVT Global has launched our NEW Online LSVT BIG Training and Certification Course! See below for answers to frequently asked questions about the Online LSVT BIG Training and Certification Course and the Online LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course.
Online LSVT BIG Training and Certification Course Frequently Asked Questions
(Continue to scroll to the bottom of the page for Online LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Frequently Asked Questions)
Who can take the LSVT BIG Training and Certification Course?
Registration is only open to those who hold degrees as a physical therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist assistant, occupational therapist assistant, or students who are currently enrolled in a graduate or doctoral level PT or OT program. If you are an international professional or student and have questions about degree equivalency, please email email@example.com.
I am not a physical or occupational therapist, but I’d like to learn this treatment approach so I too can help people with PD. Can I attend?
No. The Online and Live LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshops are only for the professionals described above. Although we understand that other professionals (physicians, physician assistants, speech-language pathologists, chiropractors, exercise scientists, athletic trainers, fitness instructors, dance instructors, personal trainers, and so on), work with people with PD, this particular workshop is within the scope of practice of physical and occupational therapy and is commensurate with the training and experience of these professionals. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about enrollment in this workshop.
How many hours does the Online LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshop take?
The total running time of the recorded modules is 12 hours and 40 minutes, however, it takes most learners on average 16 hours to complete. This extra time is needed to complete learning assessment portions of the workshop and varies across individual participants.
Do I have to do it all in one weekend?
No, you do not have to complete the course in one weekend’s time. From the time of purchase, you will have 90 days to complete the course and review the materials. You can view as much or as little as you want at one time!
How many CEUs will I receive?
This online course qualifies for a minimum of 12.0 contact hours for the 12.5 hours of recorded instruction time in professional subject matter for physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapists and occupational therapist assistants. Click HERE to review the list of State PT boards, APTA chapters and other entities which have approved this course, or email email@example.com for information related to CE approvals.
1.45 AOTA CEU's has been awarded for this course. (Intermediate level; Domain of OT). LSVT Global, Inc. is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
Please retain the registration brochure, course syllabus and your course certificate for documentation of completion. If you need additional information to receive CEU credit from your organization (e.g., a letter verifying completion, additional course details) please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be more than happy to assist you.
What if I have questions before, during or after this course?
There are several easy ways to get help!
- Email email@example.com. This email is answered by LSVT Global staff during normal business hours Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm MST.
- Click on the green CHAT button on our webpage www.lsvtglobal.com for live interaction with LSVT Global staff. If the green buttons says HELP, you can click, leave an email message, and it will be answered as soon as LSVT Global staff is available.
- Call us at toll free at 1-888-438-5788 or direct at 1-520-867-8838.
- After you become LSVT BIG certified, you may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, use the above options, and participate in our Online LSVT Clinicians’ Forum.
What are the Steps for Certification?
- Read, accept, and sign the Clinician Practice Agreement. A link to access the agreement will be provided via e-mail upon registration confirmation.
- Complete two pre-workshop pre-readings. A link to access these readings will be provided via e-mail upon registration confirmation.
- Complete the entire Online LSVT BIG Training curriculum (40 course modules, pre-knowledge assessment, final exam, course survey) within a 90 day period.
- Complete the Online LSVT BIG Training and Certification Exam with an 85% score required to receive certification. If a participant does not pass the examination, there will be an opportunity to re-take the exam online.
Will this course work on my computer or tablet?
Yes, this course should work as long as you meet the minimum system requirements.
Minimum System Requirements:
Viewing on Desktop or laptop:
-Google Chrome current version is recommended for best results
-Safari current version
-Google Chrome current version is recommended for best results
-Mozilla Firefox current version
-Internet Explorer current version
Adobe Flash Player current version
Install Flash Player free at this link: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Viewing on iPads or Tablets:
iPads running iOS current version
-Google Chrome current version on current Android OS
-Android performance and browsers will vary and the course is not guaranteed to run without glitches
What is Included with my registration?
- 90-day access to the Online LSVT BIG Training and Certification Course (90 days begins from date of purchase)
- Printed training materials (immediate access to downloadable materials; printed materials shipped post-purchase)
- LSVT BIG Certification upon completion of course and passing exam
- LSVT BIG Homework Helper DVD
- LSVT BIG Resources Link (downloadable treatment forms, lectures, videos)
- Listing on the LSVT Global Certified Clinician Database
- Access to LSVT BIG discussion forum
- Access to FREE monthly webinars on advanced LSVT BIG topics (CEUs offered)
- Online support from LSVT BIG experts for clinical questions
What are the Learning Objectives for this course?
Upon conclusion of this workshop, participants (Physical and Occupational Therapy Professionals and Students) will be able to:
- Upon conclusion of this workshop, participants (Physical and Occupational Therapy Professionals and Students) will be able to:
- Describe 3 paradigm shifts unique to LSVT BIG treatment
- Provide rationale for using a single target of amplitude when working with patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- Correctly identify at least 3 key principles used in LSVT BIG that drive activity dependent neuroplasticity.
- Discuss efficacy findings that support use of LSVT BIG for persons with Parkinson’s disease.
- Provide the rationale for each of the Maximal Daily Exercises
- Describe the correct performance techniques of the LSVT Maximal Daily Exercises
- Given patient scenarios of patients with Parkinson’s disease with various levels of function, describe how to adapt or progress LSVT BIG treatment.
- Correctly list 5/5 teaching techniques unique to LSVT protocols.
- Differentiate between Functional Component Tasks, Hierarchy Tasks, and Carryover tasks.
- Identify the purposes of Functional Component Tasks, Hierarchy Tasks, and Carryover Tasks.
- Provide an example of calibration in LSVT BIG.
- Synthesize data from patient interview, examination, stimulability tests and results of standardized tests to determine if the patient will benefit from LSVT BIG treatment.
Who are the Instructors?
The presenting faculty for this course are Dr. Cynthia Fox, Ms. Jenny Tuccitto, and Ms. Laura Guse’. See directly below to view their bios. We have eight other LSVT BIG Workshop Faculty who contributed significantly to the content of this workshop. The LSVT BIG Workshop faculty collectively have over 200 years of experience as physical or occupational therapists, personally treated over 2,000 people with PD or other neural disorders using LSVT BIG, and trained over 10,000 physical and occupational therapists in 38 countries!
Cynthia Fox, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Cynthia Fox, Ph.D., CCC-SLP received her doctorate degree in Speech and Hearing Sciences from the University of Arizona, Tucson. She is an expert on rehabilitation and neuroplasticity and the role of exercise in the improvement of function consequent to neural injury and disease. Dr. Fox is a leader in administration of LSVT LOUD speech treatment for people with Parkinson disease (PD). She was the first to apply this treatment to other disorders, such as multiple sclerosis and pioneered the application to pediatric populations. Dr. Fox has worked closely on the development of a physical therapy program - LSVT BIG - that was modeled after LSVT LOUD. Dr. Fox is a research associate at the National Center for Voice and Speech and Co-founder and Chief Clinical Officer of LSVT Global, Inc.
Laura Gusé, MPT, MSCS
Ms. Guse´ received her Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy from the University of North Dakota. Ms. Guse´ has worked extensively in the area of neurogenic disorders since then, both in outpatient and inpatient settings. She has specialized in treatment of Parkinson disease and Multiple Sclerosis. She has been certified in LSVT BIG® since 2009, and is a Multiple Sclerosis Certified Specialist. She is an LSVT BIG faculty member and Expert Clinician, and has helped to develop many of the current LSVT BIG treatment tools, webinars and curriculum. She now serves as the Chief Clinical Officer of LSVT BIG for LSVT Global.
Jenny Tuccitto, BS, MPT, GCS
Ms. Tuccitto received her Master’s degree in Physical Therapy from the College of St Catherine in Minneapolis, MN in 2001. Jenny received her Geriatric Clinical Specialist Certification in 2015. As a physical therapist she treats a wide variety of clients with neurological and/or orthopedic diagnoses at Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute, part of Allina health in Minnesota. She serves as the facility lead for treatment of clients with Parkinson disease. Ms. Tuccitto is an LSVT BIG Faculty member & Expert Clinician, and has assisted with development of many LSVT BIG treatment tools including the LSVT BIG Homework Helper DVD. She has presented for the National Parkinson Foundation, the Minnesota Physical Therapy Association and at the American Speech and Hearing Association on LSVT BIG as well as being actively involved with local Parkinson support groups.
LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Questions
The Online LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course provides the most current advances and research related to LSVT BIG. Given that the success and efficacy of LSVT BIG is based on strict adherence to the treatment protocol, it is important that all LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians keep their treatment skills up to date with any new scientific advances.
I have already taken the LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshop several years ago. Can I take the Online LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshop to fulfill the requirement for renewal?
Yes, absolutely! You can take either the Online LSVT BIG Certification Renewal course, OR, if you have not treated many LSVT BIG clients when you are due for renewal, you may consider taking the full LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshop again (either Online or LIVE) to brush up on your LSVT BIG skills and knowledge. The full workshop is offered at a significantly discounted price ($200 versus $580) for our previously certified LSVT BIG clinicians! Testimonials from previously certified LSVT BIG clinicians renewing at a LIVE workshop have found this to be very valuable experience that was well worth their time. It can take your learning and practice of LSVT BIG to a whole new level!
Who will be required to take the LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course?
LSVT Global requires all LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians to take the LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course once every two years in order to maintain clinical skills and provide key treatment updates.
Will I be notified when it is time for my LSVT BIG Certification Renewal?
LSVT Global will send an email to the email address we have on file 3 months prior to your LSVT BIG Certification Renewal due date. Please notify us at email@example.com of any changes in your email contact information so that we can update our records.
How often will LSVT BIG Certification Renewal be required?
LSVT Global requires LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians to take the LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course once every two years. We offer both a brief LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course online (estimated length: 2 hours) or the opportunity to retake the full LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshop or a discounted price.
What happens if I do not take the LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course or if I forget to renew after 2 years?
In order to ensure treatment fidelity to LSVT BIG clients, LSVT Global will remove LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians from the online database if clinicians do not complete the LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course every two years. You will also no longer have access to the wealth of materials located in your Clinician Account to help with implementation of LSVT BIG into your clinical practice. LSVT Global offers a 3-month grace period for LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians to complete the renewal course after two years. If LSVT Global removes your information from the LSVT BIG clinician database, we will promptly post you on the database again upon completion of the renewal course. LSVT Global will send a reminder e-mail to all certified clinicians 3 months prior to your due date for the renewal course.
Are LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians required to practice a certain number of LSVT BIG hours to maintain certification?
LSVT Global does not require a certain number of hours for LSVT BIG Certified Clinicians to maintain certification. The only requirement is completion of the LSVT BIG Certification Renewal Course once every two years. If you have not treated many LSVT BIG clients when you are due for recertification you may consider taking the full LSVT BIG Training and Certification Workshop again to brush up on your LSVT BIG skills and knowledge. The full workshop is offered at a significantly discounted price ($200 versus $580) for our previously Certified LSVT BIG Clinicians.